12.08.2009

a "peace" of urban typography

I came across this photograph of what I think might be classified as urban typography, while I'm not sure where this photo was taken, I don't want to stereotype this kind of typography, but to me, this feels like someone's kind reminder to all passer-bys on a city street. The message of "TEACH PEACE." is clearly written, with nice contrast on the side of a brick wall, and while the stencil-like letters are common and very generic and not the least bit expressive, except for the A that looks like an upside down V and the extended bars of the E. On the other hand, maybe the irony of the message & typography is that peace should be a common thing in our society. No matter its size, I find that this message really makes an impact. I like that the words are stacked closely together and that there is a period at the end of the statement, I think just adding punctuation aids in creating a bolder statement.
photograph: TEACH PEACE.

No comments:

Post a Comment