11.19.2009

sugar coated type!


This is a photo of a sugar jar which is part of an antique glassware set my mom purchased from an auction, I'm unsure about the time period it's from but I thought the typeface was interesting as is the source of it and I think it can be placed in the historical category. The interesting diagonal works well with these letterforms also. This set is unique because it has labels, the labels have a layer of shiny silver paper on the surface and are clearly pretty durable. Even though they are starting to peel, I think it fits in well with the antique kitchen decor.
The typeface is reminiscent of several ideas- at first I thought of a fifties diner and the typography that might be found there on a menu, soft drink cups etc., which is fitting since this is in a kitchen as well. Once considering the time period of the glassware, I realized a few parts of the letterforms remind me of Art Deco style typefaces (1920's-1940's), especially with the thick and thin strokes of each letter. I have a feeling I've seen this typeface elsewhere but I can't pinpoint it, thoughts are welcomed :)

3 comments:

  1. If I were to make a guess, I would say it's from the late 1950s or early 1960s. I feel like it's something I would see in one of those horrible old kitchen commercials where all the woman does is bake and dishes and what not - or something that would pop up on Mad Men in the background.

    I could however, definitely agree with the Art Deco style of the type face - and is that a clear color that just looks tinted? Or is it tinted green? I can't really tell... Art Deco also used a lot of pastels if I recall - salmon, light yellows, blues, greens - maybe you have found yourself an Art Deco find!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Ken about the look being 1950s/1960s. The jar has a wore-out look to it, like it has a story or has been pasted down kitchens. Pretty interesting

    ReplyDelete
  3. it is tinted green..it's part of a set. It's a good looking piece of glassware given it's age (or at least what i'm guessing its roundabout age is)

    ReplyDelete