11.17.2009

an industrial canvas


This Industrial typography photo I discovered has proven to be more interesting than I ever thought an old Alaskan Railroad Boxcar could be! Without even seeing the wide shot of the boxcar, it is clear that the typography and its surroundings originate from some type industrious source. I think the bolts, colors, thick & bold letterforms and complimentary rust give it away. Although I'm sure it's a consequence of the harsh Alaskan elements, and purely unintentional, I love the effect of the red making its way through the white letters as they wash down the side of the boxcar, I think it is very reminiscent of the Alaskan atmosphere. While much industrial typography is purely informational & very straightforward with not much attention given to aesthetics, this retired boxcar has become a piece of art, thanks to the passage of time, of course.
Photograph: Alaskan Boxcar

1 comment:

  1. This is a great type face and an awesome photo. I have a think for old railroad cars. I think they're very fun to photograph.

    ReplyDelete