9.30.2009

a garden of opportunity awaits!

My recent trip to the sweetest place on earth (otherwise known as Hershey, PA!) presented me with an abundance of childlike typography…I narrowed it down to these two which, by coincidence, are both logos for parts of the Hershey Gardens. The typeface used in the Butterfly Garden logo reminds me of a child’s handwriting, this is mostly because the letters are various sizes; the “f” is noticeably shorter than in other typefaces and it lines up with the height of the other letter. It makes for a very fun and interesting typeface to look at & explore. The color of the typography adds to the childlike feeling as do the colorful illustrations included within the name, it makes me think of the little doodles I used to create when I was younger…this example is unique, I think, because it uses illustrations with typography- this adds a new layer to the concept of typography as art- when type & illustrations are paired, they fuse together. It becomes one cohesive statement and in this case it has formed a logo for the butterfly house.

This “cutesy” logo for the Hershey Children’s Garden is childlike, literally, and besides that, I love how they’ve made the letterforms grow into little flowers and birdhouses. It brings the typography to life and once again it reminds me of an art class doodle. Clearly, this is an occasion when the audience has really been taken into consideration when creating the typography. This type does a great job of making something very child-friendly and inviting!

No comments:

Post a Comment